Monday, June 15, 2009

I smiled today for a moment when I thought of you and even though a day in June is longest in light yet still the sun arches across the sky swifter than a hawk swoops down into a meadow. It descends in decaying flame behind distant trees illuminated as green silhouettes from behind by failing dusk rays as they sit on the horizon like ghostly, green clouds. No wonder the ancients named the sun Apollo; one of the greatest of Gods…giver of life in a healthy, heavenly body.

Today I have watched a woodpecker climb stealthily up the eucalyptus tree in angular precise movements watched by a raggedy and downcast Mistle Thrush hiding in the holly awaiting his new feathers. I saw bees in their thousands making love with flowers in a tango whose only steps were across the trail of blossoms. I witness their gentle search and hard work and I wonder and think now I understand.

There can never be a Heaven on Earth, ever only the Earth in Heaven. This pleasant world is not the end of all as I thought. It is rather an evergreen moment within the great shifting span of time that holds up the Universe. And though this is a world filled with pain where sadness will ultimately mar all; still there is so, so much to be joyous for. The Earth I see is just one band of existence on a globe of rebirth that will take us to perfection and now I suddenly understand why we need to believe in reincarnation. We will meet again and I am content.