Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sorry haven’t done anything for some time but here is a short history

Dug up the last of the 2010 potatoes for tea from the earth mound we had stored them in. The frosts of December and January had permeated through to the top layers causing a bit of rot but underneath the potatoes where as white and sweet as they were in September. I enjoyed the taste of those with some butter. Given the way food prices are going might need to grow more?

Fell back in into the ravages of a cold last week. Funny isn’t it that when the weather is sub zero we’re all ok but as soon as it gets cold and damp off we all go with a cold. Once the coughing stops (which might be around March at this rate) I’ll be ok.

It rained nonstop the whole of last weekend but now the workdays are back the weather holds to a blue sky and sunny disposition for the most part.

A huge spider walked across the living room wall last night, (much to the bemusement of the dog.) He did have a bark at it but spiders don’t get this large without working a few things out and for me I’ll take that spider as my sign the northern world is waking from winter slumber one again. It has been a mild January after the previous cold moth.

Last Monday – we had a power cut at 7pm so out came the candles and within minutes we are transported back to Victorian times. I think I lit 12 candles and scattered them around but the light whilst mellow and restful is still pretty dim compared to electricity. Going to bed with a candle –
was strange but when I awoke this morning normality was once again restored.

Saturday went to the hospital to see the lady who works for Nick – she’s had an attack of jaundice and is a wonderful shade of yellow. She’s on the mend. I do hate hospitals though.

So here we are again another Monday and almost at the end of the month. Finally moved the large bay tree out the yard up to the garden on Sunday with Mike. When I say moved please read dragged, pushed and heaved the 300 metres. It’s got too large for the yard now but as its 25 years old I wanted to keep it. I decorated it as a indoor Christmas tree one year and all the leaves fell off but it came back as it has done several times after very cold weather.

Other than that it has been a quiet few weeks here. Well I had my haircut last week so that’s me ok till June and I have the dentist next week...what joys await there I wonder?