Friday, February 20, 2009

Just in case we are getting ahead of the winter here is something I wrote in 2001

Sunday 04.03.2001

It is a gloriously cloudless blue sky. The sun slanting between the trees and over the graves looks so special. The cemetery still has snow and there is this amazing holly bush that is still dripping with the reddest berries. It is quite the most beautiful mixture of sun, white snow and green evergreens. All the birds are singing and the thought comes to me “where have they all come from to celebrate the day with me? The floor beneath my feet is littered with fallen husks from the Beech trees. The beech mast is devoid of seed now and the brown husks crinkle and crackle under my feet like cocoa shells and the thought comes what great mulch they would make if I could gather up enough. I remember the hard work of collecting leaves one year. I am leaving the cemetery now and heading to the park. Wow it’s a bit slippery underfoot. It is a wide tree lined street with large Victorian houses with massive gardens. How they knew how to build my love and we shall walk along here when you come. Now I turn into the little lane that runs up the side of the park. I like this little lane for it always feels to me I am walking in a time long past where there is no tarmac or streetlights. The path takes me to the field but I cannot cross. Sadly I turn and head back to the cemetery to walk up the hill that way.