Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thursday 22nd Oct 2009

Wow time goes by so quickly some weeks. Normally I can find some time at work to write but not for the last few weeks. It’s been fairly quiet all round, but the days have changed fast as we go through the month. We started the month on the end of summer and now slide onto the edge of winter. Trees lose leaves like a burnished snowstorm and the first frosts have blackened all the tender plants that haven’t been protected. Still for the first time I’m ahead of the game this year and have protected my specimens with fleece so hopefully they may be extra luxurious next spring. But I guess we’ll have to see what kind of winter we get here. I have planted winter cabbages but maybe a little too late. But they may do well if it’s mild. My winter jobs include digging a new pond and cleaning out the existing ones. Oh and trimming all the wayward willow trees to open up the garden to more light. Mike will be busy packing this weekend ready for the cruise...3 weeks in the sun. Lucky bugger!