Wednesday, March 17, 2010

16th march 2010

It’s funny how the seasons change some years. For the last few years they have blurred and presented us with long spells of soulless grey skies that never stopped raining. The line between the winter and the spring this year though appears to have been sharply drawn. The cold, dark and very icy nights have given way to mild, sunny days that are lasting longer each day.

It’s5.30am and already I can hear the birds singing and the first tinges of light escape from behind the eastern hills in the distance. At this time of the year we step from night into day and everything begins to return and be visible again.

I think I’ve done enough tree trimming (read mutilation here,) the pond has been cleaned with Nick at the weekend and generally the garden has come through the winter reasonably well although there are definitely some casualties present. I’ll see what happens, as often with apparently dead plants life will not be denied and they burst into growth again. Think I might give up on the olive tree though...a hope too far I think! Time to turn in some thought now as to what to grow.

Robbie is pretty good most of the time and generally, very patient and quite a quiet dog really. He’s into that everything must pass the mouth test stage, (and I do mean everything within reach of his jaws.) As long as he keeps away from the 240v wires he should be ok, or I’ll wake up to a westie version of Elsa Lanchester one morning.